If you want to create along with me for DIY Month every September (and all year round!), then you will need a handful of ingredients. I love to make my own household and beauty products! It can save money, give complete control over the ingredients included in products, and give the ability to create custom products tailored to each person's unique preferences. I'm definitely a DIY-er, so I have a shelf stocked with ingredients to help me create everything from my own shaving cream to tinted lip balm, and so much more. I am sharing this list of products with you so that you don't have to go hunt down everything yourself. I've done a pretty good job of finding the best quality for the best price and so this list should be helpful to you.
Most importantly!! IF you don’t have your essential oils yet, go get your premium starter kit HERE (YES that includes an awesome diffuser with 11 oils! Such a great deal!) If you need a little more info before you buy your essential oils, read here.
Below is a list of affiliate links, which means I'll make a small percentage from anything you actually purchase at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting our small business and family of 6 <3 See full disclosure HERE.
This list is a great start to having a fully stocked DIY pantry.
Carrier Oils Needed:
Fractionated Coconut Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Kitchen/Household Items Needed:
Apple Cider Vinegar
Witch hazel (or vodka)
Corn starch/arrowroot powder
Kosher salt/Pink Himalayan Salt
Molds (for soapmaking and other things)
You can get your amber glassware from a couple of different places. It's recommended to use glass containers with Young Living Essential Oils. Got Oil Supplies has fantastic prices on all their amber glass bottles, fitments, etc. Even though you pay shipping it's usually less expensive than Amazon! Plus they ship orders super fast AND you can get fitments and sprayers that fit directly on your empty essential oil bottles, which is super cool if you like to re-use like I do! You can order from Got Oil Supplies at this affiliate link that says Check out our New Essential Oil Products Now >>>>
Or, obviously, Amazon has a ton of amber glass and other helpful containers to choose from and Prime is just so easy:
Mini Roller Bottles (love these!)
Amber Glass Spray Bottles
Foaming Soap Dispensers
4oz. Mason Jars With Lids (Get them at walmart--I cannot find any decently priced mason jars online. I have searched!)
If there is anything you feel should be added to this list just leave me a comment and I'll try to get it added! It's great to have a comprehensive list you can bookmark and find all your DIY needs easily as you need them.
I wanted a great basic muffin recipe that I could use as a base for adding many different flavors and with ingredients I usually have on hand!
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter with 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup applesauce
Optional 6 drops Vitality Essential Oil (Lime, Orange, Lemon, etc..)
Mix in dry ingredients until just combined:
1 & 2/3 cup flour (white, wheat, einkorn, whatever)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Add in any other ingredients (dried fruit, nuts, etc..)
Bake at 350* until done (~25 minutes)
I love this recipe because it adapts to anything I want to make. Just a simple, basic muffin recipe that never fails. I've made peach muffins, key lime, lemon poppyseed, orange pecan cranberry, and I'm sure there will be more.
Tested and Approved! The 3 flavors below are YUMMY.
You May Also Enjoy:
Orange Vitality Fruit Dip
This recipe is as easy as they come, and twice as delicious as it is easy.
8oz cream cheese
7oz marshmallow cream
2 drops Young Living Orange Vitality Essential Oil
Mix all ingredients together in a mixer, and dip anything you want in it! Strawberries, blackberries, oranges, apples, graham crackers, pretzels, etc..
That's all there is to it!
Make sure you sign up below for updates from Hearth and Caravan! There are FREE printables and other perks available on the super secret printables page that only subscribers have access to!
You may also like:
Here's a new oily recipe to try out! You will need:
-Young Living Grapefruit Essential Oil
-Young Living Orange Essential Oil
Cut your Apples into slices and place them in a bowl (no plastic!)
Add 3 drops of each essential oil and swish together with the apples
Let them sit for a while. The longer they sit, the more delicious this treat gets...but they won't last too long!
The Essential Rewards program is Young Living's monthly auto-ship program designed to save you $$$$!
Here's what you need to know about ER:
There are tons of ways to be healthier. Eat better, move your body more, drink a gallon of water a day, etc...But my favorite tip for leading a healthier lifestyle is not to take all the bad stuff out of your life immediately, but to add in healthy substitutions! Just take something that you know is good for you and add that to your day. You don't necessarily have to remove the "bad" to get benefit from the good, though that happens sometimes by default. If you drink more water as a way to add something healthy, then by default you will eliminate at least a couple of other less healthful drinks in your day. Here are some of my favorite healthy additions:
1) Obviously, use Essential Oils! They are an easy addition, and they don't require a sacrifice to receive the reward! Love that.
2) Take your ding-darn vitamins. Just do the thing. I missed my vitamins for 4 or 5 days last week, then wondered what on earth was wrong with me, All I wanted to do was sleep and I had the grumps...Then I took my vitamins and a shot of Ningxia, and I was bouncing. Like, actually bouncing, instead of wanting to sleep. My vitamins are awesome, and like the oils, I don't have to give up anything to receive the benefit. Woot!
3) Skip your deodorant, or find a healthier alternative. Ok, you may think that there is a sacrifice to skipping your deodorant..The stink! However, I implore you to do some research on traditional deodorant, and at least consider that you may need to find an alternative. I have tried every alternative to deodorant EVER because my pits aren't dainty, scent-free environments. To learn more about deodorant alternatives, check out this post from earlier.
4) Eat a fruit or vegetable. Note that I didn't say, "Don't eat the doughnut!" Simply pick up a fruit or veggie. At the least you'll add some vitamins into your day. At most, you'll avoid a less nutritious snack and feel like a champ. ;)
5) Do your kegels. You're welcome for the reminder. It's a little out of left field, but it DOES add wellness, and sometimes you just need a reminder! Your post-baby bladder will thank me! All gain, no pain on this one. Simply remembering to do them is a victory!
6) Take a detox bath. Add some Epsom salts, pink Himalayan sea salts, some baking soda, and some essential oils (we use lavender and frankincense) to your bath, and add wellness instead of using bubbles which aren't healthy for you! (or your daughters... My little girl asks for salts and oils now instead of bubbles, which makes me super happy!)
7) Pray! Have a conversation with the one who created you. It can change your day, your life, or even your eternity.
What are your favorite pain-free ways to add wellness to your life? Share them with me in the comments!
Sign up for updates from Hearth and Caravan HERE so you won't miss out on fun new posts, freebies, and fun!
Radical Living for regular people
Mainstream is overrated.
Fund the Fun