If you are passing through Amarillo make sure you take the time to go to The Cadillac
Ranch. It is the only thing we had time to do in Amarillo as we were passing through, and it was worth the extra hour we spent there. Here's how you do the Cadillac Ranch:
1) Take spray paint with you. You will be defacing property--but don't worry, it's encouraged! Read all about it on Wikipedia-everything I read there was helpful.
2) When you get there, pull off on the side of the road and go through the cattle gate there. Then walk on over to the cadillacs and make your statement and take some photos!
3) Don't be too attached to the mark you leave behind. Someone will paint over it within the hour, most likely.
4) If you have kids, definitely take them with you! Our kids had a blast and they will probably never forget getting to spray paint there. (Side note-you may want to wear old clothes in case spray paint happens to get everywhere. Lesson learned the hard way...)
5) Take lots and lots of pictures! You're going to want to look back and remember this. :)
It's a joy to have you here!
Fund the Fun